Thursday, September 25, 2014

September 2, 2014 -Done with my first transfer!

 Wow! It's already been six weeks! Isn't that crazy!? Well this week has been pretty crazy. This morning I got to go fear busting again! Haha but this time I was the older missionary...but not by much! I got to go break in a brand new, fresh out of the MTC, super green missionary! Haha and it was really fun! I went with Elder Terry, from Lehi. He was a super good kid and he's going to be a stud for a missionary. He had no fear at all. He just went out and talked to people like a champ! I only had to do like two examples and then he did the rest! It was super fun! But that's why the email is later, so sorry about that.
     So a couple of things happened this week I want to quickly tell you about. First, Elder Silver and I were walking to catch the bus and three 12 year olds rode on their bikes up to us. They were like, "What are you guys doing?" Then as they got closer they were like, "Oh, you guys are the church nerds." I was like, "Of course we are! We love church!" And then they did something that surprised me. They started calling us names! Terrible names! They started swearing at us and calling us names that have to do with certain body parts! I was so shocked! Haha I kind of got frustrated and I was like, "How old are you?" and they were like, "Why do you care? Why does that matter? You guys are just church nerds and you want (expletive) in your mouth." So I was like, "Let's see where you are when you're 18 and then maybe you can talk to me." And Elder Silver was so frustrated that he said, "You'll be smoking weed like your dad!" And then he walked away. Haha the kids didn't like that. So I was like, "Pray to God tonight. He will help you." And they were like, "We'll pray for you, but not for the guy in glasses!" Haha it was quite ridiculous, but pretty funny and we got a gospel conversation (something we keep track of) out of it. Haha kids are just interesting.
     Next thing. I would like you to look up and watch the Mormon Message "The Hope of God's Light." I got to watch it in the MTC and then again the other day and it is amazing. I don't know if you have seen it before, but if you haven't, or even if you have, go watch it again. It's definitely one of my favorite. That one and "Mountains to Climb" are two of my favorite. I'm so grateful I was told to read that talk. It's super good! It constantly helps me out! So yeah, watch those! And all the Mormon Messages are awesome too! So watch them! They are great missionary tools!
     The next thing is transfer calls. They were last night and I was getting so anxious and nervous. I'm just barely starting to love my area and then I thought I would get transferred, but I didn't! So no worries! I still have another six weeks in Beacon Hill South!
     The last thing is I just want to thank everyone for the birthday wishes and gifts. I got some incredible things that have helped me out a ton! So thank you everyone! There will be some pictures in some other emails in a second!
     Alright, so onto the investigators. J and J are doing great. We helped them move their living room around the other day and they just love the missionaries. They have some legal stuff going on that they want to get done before they get baptized...ugh...but they do want to get baptized, which is good! So we're just working with them and helping them get through all of that stuff so they will get baptized! We're just trying to help them know that they will see lots of blessings that could help them if they get baptized! They are great ladies!
     Next is L. She's still pretty crazy. But now she won't answer our phone calls and she didn't come to church yesterday, but we're trying to do all we can to get in contact with her and help he be baptized! Because she knows she needs to get baptized!
     A. M. Oh man. She is just having the hardest time stopping smoking. She went four days without smoking last week because she was with her grandparents, but then she started again as soon as she got home. She said it's her environment that makes it so hard. And I also have no idea what it is like to be addicted to something, so it's hard to help her too. But we're doing all we can. We're giving her all of the reminders we can. She came to church yesterday, but she's not really progressing. So Elder Silver and I have talked and prayed about it and we feel like we need to tell her (in a kind but bold way) that she needs to either start progressing again or we need to give her time. So we'll see how that goes. She knows it's true and wants to be baptized, so we're praying that she will be able to have the strength to stop smoking!
     Alright, so this is my favorite part of the week! G (I've been spelling it wrong this whole time). So last Monday I went back over to there apartments on Euclid with a brand new outdoor basketball and a hand pump. As I walked up his mom, C, and step dad, MJ, were outside like they usually are and they started to laugh! They didn't think I would actually do it! A, G's friend who is usually at their house, was outside too and he was like, "G! Elder Williams is here to play you!" So G came to make sure I was there, then went back inside and put his basketball shorts and Kobe's on and we all walked up to the school to play. So the first thing I noticed was that the rim was a little bit short. So I threw the ball to Gand told him to dunk it and he tried, but the ball kept slipping out of his hand. So me, being slightly cocky, went up and dunked it. MJ was on the side of the court on his wheel chair (he is the one who got hit on the motorcycle) and he was like "Oh s**t." And G was like, "I'm not scared." And I was like, "Haha you're not supposed to be. I'm just getting warm." So A said he would announce the game, we decided to go to 11 by ones and twos and we started. Bang bang bang. Game over. I beat him 11-4. Haha I shot as good as I have ever shot and it was so fun! Needless to say G wasn't too happy. So he was like, "Double or nothing to five." So I said, "Alright, when I beat you again you will go to church for the next two weeks." He shrugged it off and we started to play. Two minutes went by and the game was over. 5-1. Haha everyone was like, "G has to go to church!" MJ was like, "D**n! He played hard for Jesus!" And I told him he was exactly right! Well I gave G the ball and pump anyway and then he walked back home, not too happy. So we went back and I walked in and C, G's mom, was like, "He stormed in and yelled, 'He didn't tell me he was good at basketball!'" Hahahaha I just laughed! Elder Silver went in and talked to G and cheered him up and then he was good. So I went in and told him that playing that game had absolutely nothing to do with who was better at basketball and had everything to do with getting him to church. I told him that the church has blessed me so much and I know it can bless him, so basketball was the best way I could think of to get him there. I just tried to help him know that the gospel has made me happy and that I'm his friend and I want to share that happiness with him. So then it got even better. G was like, "Well, I have to make sure nothing is going on on Sunday." So I yelled, "C, do you guys have anything going on on Sunday?" And I walked out of the room with G and she said, "Nope." So I laughed and said, "Alright, G can come to church then." And she was like, "Yeah, and I'll come with him." And then A was like, "I'm planning on being there!" Then M, A and C's friend who was there yelled, "Yeah, I'll come too!" Then I looked at MJ and he was like, "What the he**? I'll come too!" Haha so they all said they would come! So we went back every day to make sure they were still planning on it and they said they were. We went over Saturday night and G was like, "Yeah, I'll be there tomorrow." So I planned on it. Well Sunday morning came and A, M, and C were the only ones who showed up. I was like, "What the heck!? Where's G!?" C told me that he had gone over to a friend's house on Saturday night and they hadn't heard from him since. So I was happy those three came, but I'm mad G didn't. I'm mad because I care. I know it will help him out, but I know he might not be ready yet. So I'm going to keep trying. It really made me sad when he didn't show up. Elder Silver and I are going over there in about an hour to talk to them and we decided we want to mess with G a little bit, so we're going to tell him that he missed his chance to go to church with me because I'm being transferred. Maybe make him feel a little bit of remorse haha. But I'm just going to keep trying to get him to come. Maybe yesterday's sacrament wasn't for him. Hopefully this week's is! Either way I will keep trying! I'll attach a picture of us after the game and then Elder Silver recorded it, so hopefully I can find a way to get that to you! And hopefully I'll have a picture of us next week at church!
     Well, that's about it for the week! It's a pretty long one! I just want to let all of you that I know the church is true! I know that God has a plan and a time for everyone and that we need to accept that plan, even if it may not make sense to us at the moment! I love ya all and I wish the best for you! One of the scriptures that has stuck out a lot to me recently is 2 Nephi 32:8-9. Prayer is huge! Don't let anyone tell you otherwise! Our Father in Heaven is just waiting to consecrate our performances, so don't hesitate to pray to Him! I hope you have a great week!

Elder Williams



Just wanted to send some pictures from my birthday! Thank you everyone! Love ya all!


No comments:

Post a Comment